Saturday, June 30, 2007

Drevviken, 30th June 2007








Arrived with the intention of fishing for Rudd at 11.30am. With the moon at it's highest point at 12.54pm I thought the fish might be feeding and they did not dissapoint, with constant bites coming over the next three hours or so before the swim went absoloutly dead. The reason for this suddenly became crystal clear to me 30 minutes later. I finally got a bite at this point and struck into a good Rudd of about 3/4 pounds. After a good tussle on a light swingtip rod I was drawing the fish across the surface when it was engulfed by a very large Pike. The line immediatly parted and the Rudd was gone. I rigged up a fixed patternoster with float immediatly on the pike rod and then spent another 30 minutes trying to catch bait, which eventually came in the form of a small Bream. The bait was only in the water 2 minutes before it was taken and I met with solid resistance, the fish initially refusing to move, so I pulled it towards me. As the fish came into view I was gobsmacked at the sight of the fish, an easy 20lb, while at the same time the fish suddenly realized something was wrong and bolted for the middle of the lake, making three runs that took 50 yards of line from the reel. The fish then sulked around for 4 or 5 minutes as I gradually gained most of the line back. Just as I thought I had the upperhand it bolted along the bank to my right and fouled my line with several lengths of heavy weed and then, sickeningly, the line went slack and I realized I had lost the fish, I was completely gutted.
Despite the dissapointment about 40 Rudd were taken, the best 4 fish weighing .27kilo(9.5oz.), .28kilo(9.9oz.), .32kilo(11.3oz.), .35kilo(12.35oz.) These are the 4 fish photographed above. The largest, being over 3/4lb, earns 1 point on the league table.

No comments: