Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Rudd; a new personal best and four Two pound plus specimens!

Every once in a blue moon all your plans and hopes come to fruition, today was one of those days. The target species was Rudd, perhaps my favorite coarse fish. I have been fishing intensively for this species of late, having decided to plan an early season campaign to try and put some big specimens on the bank. My personal best stood at a respectable 2lb.4oz, it would take a good fish to better it. As yet, cold water tempatures had seen no Rudd, though in recent days things suddenly started to show real promise. The venue had potential I knew, my previous personal best came from here and having lost a big Rudd just the previous day I returned hopeful of a good late afternoon and evening session. Hopes were high I might get a good fish, though I never could of foreseen the events unfolding as they did...

This fish, above and below, will be easily recognized should it be caught again, due to the dark spot under the right eye. This fish went 2lb.1oz and was in perfect condition...

Again with one eye one a four hour period coinciding with the moon zenith I waited. A couple of good Bream came first. Having tweaked the boilie rig to an inline lead with a short hook length and short two inch bolt set up I was delighted to hook and land a Bream on the boilie, my first fish on the method. This told me the rig worked and gave me confidence in its ability to catch fish. A short while later the legered worm and sweetcorn rig, now a helicopter rig, registered a very gentle bite. A good tussle followed and soon a huge Rudd broke the surface. I was elated to register a new personal best of 2lb.5oz. I photographed it and slipped it backed, a very satisfied angler. An hour later, another 2lb.1oz specimen came on the same rig, an amazing turn of events. Quite incredibly, the boilie rig then screamed off and another huge Rudd resulted, I was incredulous as the scales went to 2lb.7oz! My personal best gone after a half an hour!

2lb.5oz, what a cracking Rudd!

Dreamland, at 2lb.7oz, a stonking Rudd in every way, an immaculate fish which had probably never seen a hook. This one on a boilie...

An hour passed, during which time I briefly connected with two fish that shed the hook on the helicopter rig. Having three two pounders in the bag it couldn't really hurt too much and I was on cloud nine. Then the boilie rig went again and a really powerful fish bored off strongly. Eventually it surfaced beaten on the top and my jaw dropped. It's mouth was damaged and healed sometime in the past, this fish was truly massive. I thought it might even go three pounds, it was so deep and heavy. The scales settled on 2lb.13oz, a monster Rudd... The fish was deep and thickset, I took great care unhooking and photographing it before releasing it. I was quite blown away by this particular fish, which raises questions. Just how big do the Rudd get at this venue? Do these fish remain here all summer? Is a record fish a real possibility? Hopefully, given time some of these questions might be answered. I will certainly be fishing this venue more often.
What a day, an unforgettable experience!

Above and below; 2lb.13oz Rudd
By any standards a huge specimen and a dream come true. Could this venue have a three pounder? Surely the answer is yes....

No comments: